Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Dinner - Braised Seitan with Brussels, Kale and Sundried Tomatoes


My son gave me Veganomicon cookbook for Christmas.  This is a nice recipe.    I served it over polenta which we got from Trader Joes.

  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 6 average shallots sliced thin
  • 2 cups seitan (I used 8oz)
  • 1/2 pound Brussel Sprouts
  • 4 cloves garlic minced
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1/2 tsp dried basil
  • 1/4 tsp dried tarragon
  • 1/2 tsp salt (I just added Bragg at serving time)
  • 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (I took regular dried/ not in oil and soaked 4 in boiling water for 15 minutes then chopped them)
  • 2 cups veggie broth
  • 1/4 red wine
  • 4 cups chopped kale
Saute the shallots and seitan in olive oil for 7 minutes until they have browned.  Add brussel sprouts and saute for 3 minutes, adding a little olive oil if needed.   Add garlic, herbs, salt, pepper and saute for another minute.  Add sun-dried tomates, veggie broth and wine.  When broth begins to bubble, add kale.  Cook until kale is wilted.

No comments: