Friday, January 25, 2008

Dinner Jan 24, 2008 - Veggie meatballs and sphaghetti


Well it was leftovers tonight. It shows the value of making a dish and putting it into the freezer. In this case, I had made vegetarian meatballs and spaghetti sauce a while back. Fix your choice of noodles from whole wheat to quinoa. I reheated the sauce/ meatballs and added a salad (small bowl so I needed two helpings). All in all a very satisfying meal. The veggie meatball recipe is quite tasty and is as follows:

- 1 1/2 diced eggplant (peel if skin is too thick and tough)
- 1 square tofu (1/2 pound)
- 1/2 cup minced onion (1 onion)
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (I used my own whole wheat/ oat bread)
- 1 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 tsp salt
- dash black pepper
- 1/2 cup finely grate parmesan cheese (cheated on ETL a bit but need to find substitutes)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley (yeah still some in garden!)
- 1 tsp tamari
- 1 egg beaten (I believe I used egg white)
- 1/2 tsp each oregano, marjoram, and dried leaf thyme
I simple chopped the eggplant well and actually give it a quick whirl in the vitamix. I also used the vitamix to grind the walnuts. I then mixed the ingredients in a bowl. You then form balls. I should add that the original recipe had the balls rolled in the bread crumbs and fried. I mixed everything together, placed on a non-stick backing sheet sprayed lightly with a vegetable spray such as Pam and bake at 400 degrees F for 5 to 7 minutes. Note that an alternative to the spray is simply to pour olive oil on the sheet and wipe off with paper towel, leaving a thin film.. about the same.


So I do need to work on some substitute for the parmesan cheese. Also for the gluten free approach, quinoa flour may work instead of the flour, leave out the bread crumbs, and add extra quinoa flour until the mixture is solid enough to form balls.

No comments: