Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Dinner January 29, 2008 - Bean Enchiladas






We had a great meal tonight. We started with bean enchiladas with wilted kale (Eat to Live page 216). We finished off with a bean-berry shake (Eat to Live page 223). The bean enchiladas are composed of:
- 1 green pepper diced
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1 cup non-fat taco sauce
- 2 cups pinto beans
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 chopped cilantro
- 6-8 non-fat corn tortillas
Saute the green pepper and onions in a skillet with 2 tbsp of taco sauce. Stir in the beans, corn, and seasoning. I simmered the mixture without the top until the liquid was dissolved. I also used a cast iron skillet to cook the corn tortillas (gives them a nutty flavor). I then filled the tortillas with bean mixture and heated them in the oven.
At the same time, I braised the rest of the onion in a little water. I then added enough water to steam the kale. I served the kale with some balsamic vinegar. One thing to keep in mind about the kale is that you need to cut out the woody stalks, wash each leaf to remove grit and chopped them slightly.
Finally the dessert is easy to make. Basically I took frozen berries, mangos and half a banana. I added 1/2 tbsp (or more) of whole flax seed, enough soy milk to blend and blended it in my vitamix until it was smooth.
The meal was excellent and we lacked for nothing...

No comments: