Tuesday, January 15, 2008

What it is all about

So this blog is about some of the meals that I am making as I explore ways to reduce my cholesterol numbers without drugs.. which is working. I found out that despite the fact that I am good athletic condition and health, especially for age 54, I have a slight narrowing of one of the main vessels feeding the heart muscle. It is called the LAD (Left anterior descending) and is often nicknamed the widow-maker due to how severe sudden blockage can be fatal. In my case, I have a 20% narrowing which may be not uncommon but it is technically stage one heart disease.

My cardiologist did put me on statins (cholesterol drugs - simvastatin) but I did became too dizzy. So I am trying to control it with diet and exercise. It has dropped from LDL 130 to LDL 96 (the bad) while maintaining a high good cholesterol - HDL 76-80. The total is now around 188. My goal is under 90 if not under 80.

My diet is near vegetarian, very whole food including beans, squash, tofu, nuts, whole grains, very little processed oil and fish once in a while. Fortunately I love to cook. So while I may post progress periodically on my goals, I will mostly post recipes and food ideas.

Ray

P.S. - Oh I almost forgot to acknowledge the inspiration from many source including Dr. Dean Ornish's work and books, Dr. McDougall, Jeff Novick RD, and Dr Joel Fuhrman. I have recently found Dr. Fuhrman's site to be most helpful (http://www.drfuhrman.com)

1 comment:

Rob said...

Hi Ray-

I understand your mission.

I have taken it upon myself to create delicious natural foods that enable individuals to achieve significant and measurable improvements in blood lipid profiles including LDL cholesterol reduction. I launch products next month--but my products (nutrition bars, sterol-fortified extra virgin olive oil, selected supplements) are only a part of what is necessary to be effective with natural cholesterol management. You recipes certainly fit in to the program. I would be interested in linking in....also, I encouragge you to participate in the Kardea Nutrition community. Also, you can find me on facebook.com.

Cheers