Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Dinner Jan 9, 2008 - Pintos, squash & greens




We had pinto beans. In our case, I had some no salt 365 brand beans.. which are good for last minute choices though I should have seasoned them a little with garam masala. I have attached the picture of our meal. We had braised curly kale, turban squash, pinto beans and Thai grilled tofu. The curly kale was done simply by sauteeing onions in water, adding the greens on top with fresh garlic and cooking until tender. The pinto beans were prepared simply with chili powder and cumin. One of the highlights was the turban squash which has an amazing flavor. We steamed it two days ago and reheated it adding chopped pistachio nuts and raisins. Finally the Thai grilled tofu. I make a sauce with Thai red curry, rice wine vinegar, dab of sesame oil, honey and ginger. Since our grill was out of gas, I simply broiled it in the oven. I added some of the extra sauce to the greens.

No comments: